Thursday, April 14, 2005

Snakes and Snails and Puppy-dog Tails (well, almost)

Dear Jason

I had an awesome time hunting for snakes with you and your friends last night, even if I wasn't exactly WITH you, but hunting a little way away. I'm sorry Cameron grabbed the one closest to our house, but I'm glad I could "buy" it back with a couple of pieces of fudge later on. Aren't you glad mom knows how to strike a quick bargain? :)

I'd love to be seen by you as a cool mom. I know you won't think so in a few years time, but for now I'm going to do what I can to be cool. In some ways it's a case of "my mom's better than your mom", which probably belongs more on a playground than among parents, but I do try. I enjoy being more relaxed than others, not being so strict in some areas, doing things with you that other parents might not do with their kids (like watching Lord of the Rings together, or Harry Potter - instead of throwing it away as "evil"). Giving you an angle on your friends - like the BEST birthday parties, the coolest stuff to play with, the bigger and better (if we can mange it) or just plain different that no-one has.

And it's not because I'm bribing you or trying to buy your love. I know you love me so much that it hurts, and these are things I do because I love you too. You're what my life revolves around, and I want to make your life great.

So last night, hunting snakes with you, was cool.

I love it that you consider nature, and don't bash it to bits like your friend did when he found the shrew nest. I love it that you appreciate leaves turning red, and the shape of grass in the wind, the feel of sun, the smell of rain, the pictures in the clouds, the fur of your pets and the many dog-kisses they heap on you. These are things that are more important that Playstations, better for your soul than the latest gadget. You may not realize it now, but if you can keep a place for nature, a love of it, deep in your heart, then it won't matter where you end up - you'll always have a quiet pool to draw on when life seems ready to crush you.

Keep learning about nature and spending as much time outside as you can. And make sure you care for that snake when you get home today. It's probably a little hungry and a lot thirsty...

Love
Mom

PS I'm really glad I caught that snake in the passage just before you got home from school today. Who would have thought he could squeeze through such a tiny opening in his "home"?! :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this, this is who I was when i was little and who I want to be for my son.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home