Friday, July 01, 2005

Dragging You Around Africa

Dear Jason

It's been a week or so since we started to discuss a few year's travel through Africa - and as much as I want to go, I don't want to force you to. I KNOW you'll come back a much better person, that you'll mature and grow on the long road, and get to do and see and experience things many folk don't.

But I'm also worried that you won't get the traditional education society wants you to have sometimes. Not that either of us really like what's going on in the schools right now, but still, society requires a high school certificate and training in certain areas in order to do other things - whether it be work, or study, or whatever. I don't yet know how we'll manage the education on the road thing, or if life experience is enough.

I worry too that you won't be safe. That a mom and kid travelling alone are asking for trouble. I'm not scared for me - I'm scared for you, if something should happen to me. It's a big, bad world out there.

And yet I know this is the chance of a lifetime. I know we could make it work, scary as it seems, and that it will be the most amazing thing we could ever do.

So forgive me if I drag you off around the continent. I hope you'll thank me later. I suspect you will... :)

Love Mom

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellsworth Blogs
A decision on Ellsworth could come as soon as Thursday. BRAC hearings and the future of Ellsworth are hot topics on internet blogs.
Thanks for your nice blog
You can visit my site if you want
Peer to Peer file sharing center To get unlimited music and movies download, join a peer to peer file sharing center download site.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I have the same fears about dragging my American husband Mike through Zimbabwe. Poor thing. He's so.....

9:45 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ah well, I'm pretty sure you will both survive and enjoy the experience - if not as it's happening, then in hindsight! Good luck to the both of you on your adventure.

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home